Puppy training starts as soon as you bring your new pet home. Setting boundaries and encouraging good behavior reduces stress for the dog and the family, eliminates bad behaviors, and creates a positive environment for a lifetime of friendship and learning.
Providing your puppy with loving attention, proper veterinary care, leadership, and new people to meet will prepare him to begin a more formal training program between the age of 8 and 12 weeks. Once your puppy receives his vaccinations, then puppy preschool and other social activities can begin.
Socialization is an important step in puppy training. After all, you want your pet to be comfortable and confident when greeting others and being introduced to new situations. Holiday House Pet Resort & Training Center hosts a Free Puppy Social Hour every Thursday at 7:30pm. The objective is to offer pet parents an opportunity for their puppy to be around other people and puppies in a safe environment, as well as offer pet care tips, best practices, and information on types of training.
Professional dog training offers numerous benefits to the dog and the owner. When a pet is properly trained, it shows that your dog is an important part of the family and that good behavior is expected and rewarded.
A well-trained dog:
- Reduces family stress
- Reduces damage to your home and personal belongings
- Increases a sense of safety and security
- Creates a strong bond with the dog
- Reduces costs associated with owning a dog
- Improves overall quality of life in the home
Dogs respond to positive reinforcement so obedience and behavioral training strategies work well. Obedience and behavioral training focus on different outcomes.
- Obedience – Teaches the dog verbal commands or hand signals that elicit a specific response like down, sit and heel.
- Behavioral – Prevents or stops unwanted behaviors like chewing, jumping or digging as well as address serious issues like running away or excessive barking.
There are several choices when it comes to dog training programs offered at Holiday House Pet Resort & Training Center:
- Small group classes – A small group setting guided by two professional trainers offers a customizable program with convenience and value.
- Lodge & Learn – Our most popular program for 5, 10 or 15-day lodging with resort amenities while receiving multiple training sessions daily. The concentrated curriculum is a good fit for dogs that need a focused training plan with quicker results than group training classes typically provide. Perfect if you are going on vacation or out of town for business.
- Play & Learn – The same training structure as the Lodge & Learn program without the overnight component. Your dog will enjoy resort amenities and a full day of play activities with multiple training sessions—just like sending your child off to school for the day!
No matter which type of training you choose, it ultimately comes back to you and the relationship with your dog. Training requires love, patience and trust—as well as consistency and support!