It’s an exciting day—you are ready for vacation and it’s time to drop your dog or cat off for lodging. Even though you are looking forward to your trip, the moment you have to leave your pet in the care of others can be stressful.
Planning will make the check-in process easy for you and the resort experience fun for your pet.
· Vaccinations – When you make the lodging reservation, ask the staff which vaccinations are necessary and suggested for your pet’s stay. Contact your veterinarian to make sure your dog or cat is up-to-date on vaccinations, and make an appointment if necessary.
· Activities – Be sure to choose an activity package for your pet when you make the reservation. Staying active is important for health and happiness. We have designed activity packages to meet the needs of your pet.
· Medications – If your pet is on medication, be sure to provide enough medication for the entire stay. Package and label according to the directions.
· Food – Holiday House Pet Resort serves veterinarian-approved food but will serve your pet’s regular diet if you provide the food. Be sure to measure, package and label plenty of food for the stay. It’s also a good idea to supply extra food, especially if your pet is involved in lots of activities.
· Contact information – Provide an up-to-date list of contacts and emergency numbers.
· Remain calm – This is the most important tip for ensuring a smooth check-in. Pets can sense when we are upset or stressed and will mirror our energy. The best thing you can do is remain calm and confident so your dog or cat will have a positive experience.
· Going home – A smooth transition when returning home is also important. Opting for a grooming package before check-out is a nice way to end the lodging experience. If you are lodging a puppy or young dog, then return to basic housebreaking to reinforce good behavior now that he is back home. It’s also recommended not to feed your pet a big meal after coming home. Pets who are kept busy and happy at lodging—much like a child at camp—will be sleepy, so provide small amounts of water and food for several hours until their energy returns.
Lodging is your pet’s vacation from the regular routine. When you are organized and calm during the check-in process, you and your pet will feel less stressed and be ready for a good time. Our entire staff is committed to making your pet’s stay at our luxury resort the best it can be.